Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Mulch should be applied on the surface of the BMP in a layer of 75 -100 mm.
- As in other landscaping applications, the mulch helps to preserve soil moisture for plant survival, and suppresses weed growth.
- Mulch is considered to be an normal finishing touch to many types of formal landscaping. Maintaining mulch application can help increase aesthetic value of LID BMPs.
- Shredded hardwood mulch is recommended for LID facilities. Its fibrous texture knits together somewhat; providing erosion control on the surface.
- Regular fresh applications of wood mulch also promotes denitrification, reducing nitrates in impacted surface waters.