Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Material specifications should conform to Ontario Provincial Standard Specification (OPSS) 1860 for Class II geotextile fabrics.
- Fabrics should be woven monofilament or non-woven needle punched. Woven slit film and non-woven heat bonded fabrics should not be used as they are prone to clogging.
Primary considerations are:
- Maximum forces that will be exerted on the fabric (i.e., what tensile, tear and puncture strength ratings are required?);
- Load bearing ratio of the underlying native soil (i.e. is the geotextile needed to prevent downward migration of aggregate into the native soil?);
- Texture (i.e., grain size distribution) of the overlying fill material; and
- Permeability of the native soil
- Suitable apparent opening size (AOS) for non-woven fabrics, or percent open area (POA) for woven fabrics, to maintain water flow even with sediment and microbial film build-up;
|Percent media passing 0.075 mm (#200 sieve)||Non-woven fabric apparent opening size (AOS, mm)||Woven fabric percent open area (POA, %)||Permittivity (sec-1)|
|>85||≤ 0.3||Not recommended||0.1|
|50 - 85||≥ 4|
|15 - 50||≤ 0.6||0.2|
|5 - 15||0.5|
|≤ 5||≥ 10|